Public Safety

OMI Crime Recap: Firebug, Squatter Bike Mechanic and More

Here’s a recap of recent criminal activity in the Ocean View, Merced Heights and Ingleside neighborhoods — known collectively as the OMI — between Dec. 15 and Dec. 31. Unless otherwise noted, all incidents were reported in the police department’s daily blotter.

Attempted Shoplifting at Target
At 8:26 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 15, Ocean Avenue Target employees witnessed an individual, who had stolen from the store in the past, enter the premises carrying two empty bags, fill them with items of clothing and try to leave the store without paying. The employees took the bags from the individual. After being alerted to the incident, officers located and detained the suspect and ran a background check, which revealed he had an arrest warrant. Officers arrested the suspect.

Firebug on Ocean Avenue
Officers responded to a report of a fire on the 1200 block of Ocean Avenue at 8:33 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 15. The San Francisco Fire Department extinguished the fire. SFFD inspectors located two separate fires. Arson was suspected. No damage was found to a nearby building.

Theft at Walgreens
At 9:06 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 16, officers responded to theft at Walgreens in Ingleside. The witness said the suspect was observed taking items and putting them into Hallmark gift bags, which were also from the store. The suspect then fled the store.

Hard Cash
Officers responded to a liquor store on the 1500 block of Ocean Avenue at 11:34 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 17. After the victim refused to give his ex-girlfriend money, the suspect assaulted the victim. Officers performed a computer check on the suspect and found two active restraining orders and a warrant. The suspect was arrested.

Assault with a Tool
Officers responded to a fight at the intersection of Brighton and Holloway avenues at 7 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 22. Upon arrival, several witnesses pointed out the suspect and said the suspect had made multiple racial remarks and assaulted several victims with a metal construction tool. Officers detained the suspect and after further investigation, it was revealed that the suspect had violated a prior felony’s probation terms. The suspect was arrested.

Blocking Capitol Avenue While on Probation
Officers on patrol observed a vehicle stopped on Capitol Avenue impeding the flow of traffic at 11:47 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 24. After conducting a traffic stop and a computer check on the driver, the officers found he was on felony probation and his license was suspended. He was cited.

Caught in Hot Water
A fight between a resident and a contractor on the 200 block of Sagamore Street was called into Taraval Police Station at 12:15 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 26. The victim said he was at the suspect’s house to repair a water heater. After finishing and trying to leave, the suspect refused to let him leave. The suspect confirmed that the victim came to fix the water heater but wanted an invoice to figure out what was wrong but refused to provide paperwork. The suspect denied refusing to let the victim leave the house. The suspect was arrested.

Squatter Bike Mechanic
At 11:56 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 27, officers responded to a report of a possible squatter on Majestic Avenue in Ingleside. They observed that the dead bolt had been removed from the back door of the house. In the basement, they found numerous bicycles and bicycle parts. After a further search of the house, the suspect was located, who said he was homeless and had been invited by another person to stay at the house. The suspect said that he would help repair the bicycles that the person would bring over so they could sell them at flea markets. The suspect tried to give a false name but later gave his true name. A computer check found there was a warrant for his arrest. The suspect was arrested.

Pepper Sprayed
At 6:41 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 29, officers responded to a report of an incident of someone who was pepper sprayed on the 400 block of Randolph Street. At the scene, the witness said she was behind a truck that had been driving erratically. The driver stopped the vehicle, got out and started yelling at person at a bus stop. The victim told the suspect to leave the person alone and the suspect approached the victim, who pepper sprayed the suspect. In return, the suspect punched the victim multiple times and then drove to the Taraval Police Station and reported the incident. Officers investigated the incident and arrested the suspect.

Original community journalism takes money, time and hard work. You can now support the Light on Patreon. Visit to sign up.

Popular Articles

To Top